The 1838 Locomotive 'Lion'
Lion was one of a pair of 0-4-2 tender engines built by the newly-formed company of Todd, Kitson and Laird of Hunslet, Leeds and delivered in 1838 to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway for use as a luggage (goods) engine. It was sold in 1859 to the Liverpool Docks where it was used as the motive power for a pump. In 1928 it was rescued and restored by a group calling itself The Old Locomotive Committee and, until it was last steamed in 1989, was the oldest working steam locomotive in the world. Since then, its owners, National Museums Liverpool, have decided that it will be a static exhibit, and not steamed for the forseeable future. Lion has appeared in three films, 'Victoria the Great' (1937), 'The Lady with the Lamp' (1951) and 'The Titfield Thunderbolt' (1952).
More recently, a society has been formed, also called The Old Locomotive Committee (OLCO) by those interested in this locomotive and in building models of it. OLCO holds an annual convention, Lionsmeet, hosted by different model engineering societies around the country. This includes a performance competition for 3½ and 5 inch gauge live steam models of Lion.
For more information about Lion and OLCO, see their website www.lionlocomotive.org.uk.
Drawings by 'LBSC' and castings are available for 3½ and 5 inch gauge models of Lion (shown below).
Aster have produced a 1/32nd, gauge 1 (45mm), model of Lion.